Northern Territory/Kimberley region
SSDS has provided support services to the Australian Defence Forces in the Northern Territory / Kimberley region since July 1999.
The region comprises six major Defence establishments, five training areas and more than 30 remote sites, including Broome, Alice Springs, Shoal Bay, Groote Eylandt and Bathurst Island covering approximately 1.35 million square kilometres, including 11,000 kilometres of coastline.
Fast facts – in NT/K we:
- Employ more than 500 people throughout the region
- Are recognised as one of the largest employers in the Northern Territory
The major Defence establishments we provide services to in this region are:
- RAAF Base Darwin
- RAAF Base Tindal
- Robertson Barracks
- Larrakeyah Barracks
- HMAS Coonawarra
- Defence Establishment Berrimah.
The NT/K region is one of our most unique, not only due to its climate and location, but the services we provide.
At Larrakeyah and HMAS Coonawarra, we provide cleaning services to the Armidale class patrol boats, which requires specialised teams to perform high area cleaning and deep cleans following long deployments at sea.
SSDS is one of the largest employers in North Queensland, engaging more than 500 people. We offer over 20 support services in the region including a 24 hour Base Services Support Centre (BSSC). We support more than 90 Defence sites from Rockhampton (including the heritage listed Shoalwater Bay Training Area) to Boigu Island, south of Papua New Guinea. As well as a number of remote sites, the region is divided into four main areas Cairns (Navy), Townsville South (Army), Townsville North (Air Force), Rockhampton (Army).
Fast facts – in North Queensland we:
- Support over 10,000 Defence personnel – one of the largest customer bases in the country
- Feed more than 350,000 people in the messes annually
- Make up more than 400,000 beds a further 120,000 during times of military exercises and surge activity
Many of our people in North Queensland commenced at the start of the contract in 1998 and have developed a wealth of local knowledge and experience to offer a superior service to our customer. Our people are passionate about their community and regularly take part in fundraising activities such as Relay for Life and World’s Greatest Shave. Our team also sponsors and supports Indigenous Rugby League teams and carnivals in the far north.
Our dedicated teams in Corporate Support Office provide the essential management and administrative support to our regional teams so they can focus on outstanding service delivery.
Northern New South Wales
SSDS has provided support services at RAAF Base Williamtown since December 1996. During that time, we have established ourselves as a strong partner to Defence and the community in which we operate. In February 2007, we commenced operations at Singleton Military Area as part of the NNSW contract as well as the satellite sites of Muswellbrook, Tamworth, Rutherford, Armidale, Adamstown, Taree, Erina, Grafton, Kempsey, Coffs Harbour, Lismore, Tweed Heads and Port Macquarie.
Fast facts – in CNNSW we:
- Employ more than 250 people throughout the region
- Deliver a wide range of services including hospitality and catering, grounds maintenance, access control, transport, range operations, stores, cleaning, accommodation management, waste, laundry, firefighting, pest and vermin control and recreation.
In addition to providing employment opportunities, we also engage more than 100 local Small to Medium Enterprises for the provision of supplies and services. The annual spend by SSDS into the local economy is in excess of $18 million.
In the Sydney West region, SSDS provides services to 8 Defence sites and several remotes sites across New South Wales. The main locations consist of:
- Defence Establishment Orchard Hills
- Liverpool Military Area, incorporating Moorebank Barracks, Steele Barracks, Holsworthy Barracks, and five regional locations: Bathurst, Dubbo, Orange, Parkes and Marrangaroo
- Air Force bases at Richmond and Glenbrook. RAAF Glenbrook is located in the foothills of the Blue Mountains and is home to Headquarters Air Command. The base has an exquisite view overlooking the city which is regularly used for functions.
Fast facts – in Sydney West we:
- Support over 4,500 military personnel at any one time
- Serve up to 1,500 meals per day
SSDS commenced operations in the region in October 2005, and since that time, we have established ourselves as a strong partner to Defence and the broader community. At Orchard Hills and Glenbrook, our hospitality teams donate their time to Meals on Wheels, and many sites regularly take part in the World’s Greatest Shave, Pink Ribbon Day, Jeans for Genes day and Red Nose day.
The region consists of major defence facilities in the ACT including the Royal Military College Duntroon (RMC), Australian Defence Force Academy (ADFA), Australian Defence College Weston (ADC), HMAS Harman and office facilities at Russell Offices and Campbell Park. In Southern New South Wales (Shoalhaven) SSDS is located at HMAS Albatross and also at HMAS Creswell which is one of the most historic and picturesque Defence sites in the country.
Fast facts – in ACT/SNSW we:
- Employ more than 700 people throughout the region
- Deliver several unique services including airfield firefighting plus estate management and advice for heritage grounds and buildings
High-profile facilities and establishments provide training for all officers in the Navy, Army and Air Force as well as providing services to more than 10,000 civilian executives and staff. In addition to catering for up to 1,400 cadets at RMC and ADFA, SSDS supports fine dining and significant military events attended by visiting Heads of State and Senior Defence representatives from around the world.
The region also boasts heritage listed buildings and gardens, demanding a high level of horticultural expertise. These grounds provide the setting for graduation ceremonies attended by the Governor General, foreign ambassadors and senior Defence officials.
SSDS manages 32 Defence Clothing Stores in all states and territories incorporating:
- Warehousing – management of over $30M of stock and in excess of 100,000 lines of Defence clothing, accessories and equipment. Management of this inventory encompasses receipting, stock picking, stock movement, stocktaking and resupply.
- Retail Services – the issue of clothing to Defence members or “kit ups”, as well as a retail service for entitled Defence members to purchase extra equipment, clothing and accessories.
- Tailoring Services – SSDS employs over 50 tailors and seamspersons to provide a service for the tailoring of Defence uniforms including minor alterations, fitting of rank insignia and badges as well as unique services such as making and fitting gold braiding and lacing.
- Court Mounting of Medals – mounting of medals, miniatures and ribbon bars. This sometimes requires medals to be moved between stores utilising a “safe hand” secure freight system.
- TAGMAN – In 2008, SSDS developed the TAGMAN solution for the online ordering, tracking and management of Personalised Cloth Name badges, ID (Dog) Tags and Metal (RAAF) and Plastic (Navy) Name Plates. The TAGMAN cloth name badge production facility is located at RAAF Wagga and incorporates the latest in computer-based embroidery technology and manufacturing processes.